Recently, we all are feeling a change in the business world, as now we see our young generation instead of going for employment they are intrigued towards the idea of establishing business. This is the result of e-business, where they can easily manage their businesses without going out and at a very minimal cost. In this post we shall share the facts of the UAE market and strategy on how to market your e-business in UAE.
When it comes down to strategy people hesitate as they find it a difficult and expensive approach, whereas that’s not the case. We have both types of strategies to promote our business, the expensive ones and the cheap ones. Right now you’re in luck because we shall be sharing both of them here, select as per your convenience and see the difference by yourself.
Before I jump to any tip, technique or strategy it is important to state that you need to be well aware of the market you are getting yourself into. Then you can identify your target market and segment, and only then you will be able to approach the right market. This will lead to a better understanding of your customer, defining your strategy and giving your marketing efforts a right direction.
Understanding the UAE Consumer
1. The UAE Culture
- Collectivists: Being collectivists in nature, they undoubtedly prefer family goals over their own goals.
- Power Distance: UAE is high in power distance. They accept the hierarchy and so they are low in equality
- Avoid Uncertainty: In the UAE people are risk averse. They avoid doubtful situations, for them conflict and competitions both are a threat. Instead security is preferred in contrast to adventure and risk.
- Masculine – Feminine: The UAE people prefer being an ambitious achiever rather than simply losing the race for empathy.
- Ancestral Values: Tribal values are carried with them as religious values and family heritage.
- Reputation: Maintaining prestige is important so they carry stuff high in status.
- Family: Resources are commonly shared with each other as family ties are relatively strong
3. Decision Making
As this is an Islamic country and a majority of the population is Muslim, their decision making is influenced by their religious values. Males usually make decisions for luxury items and any decisions related to household item are made by the females. They both seek for the best product or service with minimum price. As they are prestige conscious therefore they are concerned about the quality of the product.
4. Consumer Segments of The UAE
When we say segments, we are in fact making small groups of people with the same characteristics, needs and interests. In a simple way, if I say without any market research, we can divide our UAE customers in age segments as per some similar shared characteristics, needs and interests it won’t be wrong. If that were to be put into place, we would have the following segments.
- Childhood: from an infant till the age of 13.
- Teens: from the teenage years, starting from 13 till 19.
- Students: comprise of college/university students.
- Adults: job seekers or someone who just started their career.
- Middle aged: most of the population of UAE is from this segment.
- Baby boomers: the age group is from 42 – 60.
Online Promotional Strategies
After understanding the consumer of the UAE market now is the time to talk about the promotional strategies one should follow to be successful in this market.
1. Newsletters & Mailing Lists
It’s a very simple and easy strategy where you use a mailing list of the desired consumers and send them newsletters. There are several companies offering data base of huge email list sorted as per different characteristics like Age, profession etc. You can also use you existing customer base to market them different / new products and services. The mailing list will consist of potential and regular customers, where you will be informing them of new products and services, special offers, events as well as any other relevant information. With respect to UAE Ministry of Planning, UAE is the most wired nation. This is a benefit for e-businesses, they can easily promote their product or service online.
2. Blogs & Social Networking Sites
Blogs and social networking sites can be an effective tool to promote your product. The communication becomes a two way process where both a business and consumer a can interact, making the business a living being on one hand and on the other hand answering their queries. It doesn’t end here; the advantage of positive feedback is a plus as 84% of UAE online users check the feedback of a particular product before purchasing, meaning positive feedback on social sites or blogs can bring more customers. You can promote your product or service easily. Facebook is a frequently used social media network and probably the most relied on, with 77.76% users as compared to the rest of the social sites. 45% of the UAE’s total population has a Facebook account. So to promote a product through social sites, like Facebook, can be a vigilant effort. Furthermore, UAE is known for its highest number of bloggers. Here are some more stats on Social Media Usage in Middle East.
3. Online Advertising
A few popular forms of online advertising include banners, pop-ups, pay-per-click, search engine ads and classified ads. All of these forms are good to promote your business. You only need to decide which one of them suits your product or service or which one you can afford. In UAE the internet marketing is very useful as 52% of internet users have their own websites, blogs etc. these platforms can also be used to advertise your product or service. Read more stats on internet usage in Middle East.
4. Search Engine Optimization
This is also commonly known as SEO. It is a very important feature of marketing and is responsible for placing your site in the top of the search engine list or web directory. Now, here, you might want to know what search engines are. Search engines are websites which help you find various websites or links relevant to your desired searched item. It is just like a telephone directory where you find the name and address of the owner of a number. In the UAE, Google is the top searching engine with 93.26% of users. This obviously indicates that in the